Chp 10: Air Pollution, Climate Change, & Ozone Depletion
Traffic congestion is a daily reality of India’s urban centers. Slow speeds and idling vehicles produce, per trip, 4 to 8 times more pollutants and consume more carbon footprint fuels, than free flowing traffic. This 2008 image shows traffic congestion in Delhi.
After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify sources of air pollution
- List common air pollutants
- Explain how the greenhouse effect causes the atmosphere to retain heat
- Explain how we know that humans are responsible for recent climate change
- List some effects of climate change
- Identify some climate change policies and adaptation measures
- 10.1 Atmospheric Pollution
- 10.2 Ozone Depletion
- 10.3 Acid Rain
- 10.4 Climate Change
- 10.5 Chapter Resources
Essentials of Environmental Science by Kamala Doršner is licensed under CC BY 4.0. Modified from the original.