1 Creating and grading PlayPosit assignments – Overview
Creating a graded PlayPosit Bulb, start to finish
Adding PlayPosit to your course consists of three broad steps: 1. Access PlayPosit through Canvas; 2. Create a new bulb inside PlayPosit; 3. Add interactions to the bulb; 4. Connect that bulb back your Canvas Assignment. See a video of this process below.
STEP 1: Access PlayPosit through a Canvas Assignment
- Log into your Canvas course, and click Assignments from the left navigation.
- Click the blue +Assignment button in the top right.
- Name the assignment and enter the point value. For “Submission Type” select External Tool then click the Find button. Scroll down and select PlayPosit.
- Click Enter PlayPosit, and you will be taken to the “My Bulbs” screen.
STEP 2: Create a new Bulb
- Click the red ADD NEW BULB button.
- Select a video source (e.g., Kaltura or YouTube), and locate a specific video.
- Title the bulb and perform any customizations such as trimming/cropping the video. Click DONE when finished, and you will be taken to the “Interactions” screen.
Step 3: Add interactions
- Play or scrub the video to the time when you want an interaction.
- Click ADD AN INTERACTION AT and select the type of interaction you want to add. Enter the necessary fields (e.g., for a Multiple choice question, you must enter the question prompt and at least two answers) then click the DONE button.
- Add other interactions throughout the video based on your learning outcomes.
- Click REVIEW at the top-right of the Interactions screen once you have finished adding interactions.
- (optional) Click PREVIEW to see your bulb from the student view.
- Click SAVE then CLOSE, and you will be returned to the “My Bulbs” page you accessed from Canvas.
STEP 4: Link Bulbs to a Canvas Assignment
- Click the red circular Canvas logo just to the right of the thumbnail for your new bulb – it should be at the top of the list.
- Ensure the “Learner Experience” is Self Paced. Click LINK then click the blue SELECT button.
- Complete the Assignment settings (e.g., point value and due date) and Save it.
Manually grading Free Response and Discussion interactions
Although participation in Discussions can be auto-graded, Free Response and Discussion content must be manually graded.
- Click on the Canvas Assignment that links to the PlayPosit Bulb you wish to grade.
- Click MONITOR.
- Click the Free Response or Discussion icon at the top of a column, then Grade All.
- Click the number of points for each student will receive. Their current point value will be highlighted blue.
- (optional – Free Response questions only) Click the red callout icon next to students’ responses to add feedback.
- Click SAVE GRADES.
See PlayPosit Guide – Manually grade interactions for more details.