Getting Started with the Semester
When you look at your Canvas Dashboard where you see all your courses laid out in rectangles. If you’ve not updated your course cards, you’ll see the images above all your fall courses say “IU Course Template” on them. You will want to change that before your class begins so that students can easily identify your course. To change your course card image in your Canvas course Settings
- Click on the three vertical dots (the options menu)
- Click on “Choose Image”
- Click the “Unsplash” tab
- Search Unsplash for pictures
- Click on the one you would like to use for your card
Making your own course card
If you would like to make a custom course card with text on it, you can do it fairly easily using one of these two templates
- Google Slides Canvas Course Card Template (you’ll be prompted to log in to Google if you’re not and then asked to make a copy of the template file)
- PowerPoint Canvas Course Card Template (downloads pptx file)
Canva, not to be confused with Canvas, is an online tool for creating and editing images and text for things like web banners, postcards, brochures, etc. There is a Canva “Canvas Course Card Template” that you can edit and then download the image for your fall course. The benefit of Canva is that it comes with a library of free images, backgrounds, and fonts that you can choose from. There is also “premium content” mixed in so make sure to look for the word “free” on each image or background you use.
To use the Canva template
- Create a free Canva account. We recommend using your IU Google account, but you can also use any Google account, Facebook, or email.
- Once you are logged in to Canva, follow this link to the Canvas Course Card Template.
- Click the “Use Template” button below the image to make a copy and open it in the Canva editor.