Using personal video in discussions or assignments is simple to do using Kaltura Express Capture or by uploading a video you recorded on your phone or other mobile device.
Note that Express Capture only works in a web browser (desktop or mobile) but does not work in the Canvas mobile app.
If you would like to record on your mobile device, see the instructions for submitting a previously recorded video.
Record a Video Using Kaltura Express Capture
Kaltura Express Capture let’s you record directly in your discussion post or an assignment set up with a text box for submission.
- Click “Reply” under the discussion prompt or “Submit Assignment” for an assignment to get to the text box.
- Click the “Embed Kaltura Media” button () in the toolbar across the top of the text editor. (This may take a few moments to load.)
- Click the “Add New” button at the top right of the page and select “Express Capture.”
- Express Capture should automatically detect your default webcam and microphone. If you would like to use a different one, click the settings gear icon at the top right and select the mic or camera you prefer.
- To record, click the large red Start button. It will count down 3 seconds before beginning to record.
- To stop, click the white square Stop button next to the timer.
- Review your recording and choose to either use it or record again by clicking either the “Use This” button or the “Record Again” button below the video.
- When you have selected a video to use, click the “Save and Embed” button at the top right and your video will be placed in your discussion post or assignment. You can add any necessary text below your video and then click “Post Reply” or “Submit Assignment.”
NOTE: When video is first uploaded to Kaltura you will see a “media is being processed” animation where you expect your video to be.
The longer your video is, the longer it will take to process. The video will appear once it has completed processing, though you may need to refresh your page to see it. You can embed a video that is still processing in Kaltura.