Working with Video (Kaltura, Canvas, Zoom, and PowerPoint)
Canvas cannot connect to Kaltura from a Group Space, which includes Group Discussions.
To get around this, if you are on a computer or mobile browser, you can copy the embed code from Kaltura and paste it into the Canvas discussion. You cannot do this on the Canvas app.
Using Kaltura: My Media in Canvas
- Go to Kaltura: My Media on the left side navigation in your Canvas course. If My Media is not in the navigation see the instructions for using Kaltura MediaSpace below.
- Click on the title of the video you would like to share.
- Click on the “Share” tab below the video and copy the embed code that will appear. The embed code will look like this:
- Go into your Group Discussion and click “Reply”.
- Embed the video in one of the two following ways
- Click the Record/Upload Media button and choose “Upload/Record Media.” Click on the “Embed” tab, paste your embed code there, and click Submit.
- Click the HTML Editor button (</>) found below and to the right of the text box. Paste the embed code into the HTML Editor. Click the same button again to return to the normal view where you should see your video.
- Add anything else needed below your video and post your reply.
If you do not see My Media on the left side navigation, you can go to Kaltura Mediaspace but please see the note below on privacy and Mediaspace.
- Go to Kaltura MediaSpace and log in
- Click your name at the top right and choose My Media
- Find the video and click on its title
- Click the Actions button below the video and choose Publish
- Set the publishing status to “Unlisted”
- Click the “Share” tab below the video and choose the “Embed” tab
- Copy the embed code
- Go to Step 4 in the section above “Using Kaltura: My Media in Canvas”
Note on the MediaSpace embed code: When you go to copy the embed code from Mediaspace, you will see a warning that reads “Grabbing the embed code will make this media public to the world and override all entitlements defined in MediaSpace.” This effectively means that anyone with the link from the embed code will be able to see the video. When you paste the code into Canvas, the link is not visible but it can be discovered in the webpage code. If you are uncomfortable with this, please ask your instructor to enable Kaltura: My Media in the course.
Note on Video Processing
When a video is first uploaded to Kaltura you will see a “media is being processed” animation where you expect your video to be.
Please be patient. Processing time depends on the length of the video and the number of other videos Kaltura is processing. It will appear once it has completed processing, though you may need to refresh your page to see it. You can embed a video that is still processing in Kaltura.