In Canvas, you can embed a video from Kaltura into Assignments, Discussions, or anywhere you have access to a text editor box. The text editor box is the area where you can type which includes formatting options such as bold, italics, font size, etc. above the area.
Videos can be embedded in the following locations:
- Students can embed videos in Assignments where the submission type is a text box by going to the assignment in Canvas and clicking the “Submit Assignment” button.
- Students can embed videos in Discussions by clicking “reply” to the discussion or to any individual post.
- Instructors can embed videos anywhere they have access to a text entry area (Assignments, Discussions, Quizzes. Pages, etc.).
IMPORTANT: These instructions presume your video is already in Kaltura.
Once you have clicked “Reply” on a discussion, “Submit” on an assignment with the submission set to be a text box, or “Edit” on a page, discussion, or assignment you will see a text box with the Rich Content Editor bar above it.
To embed Kaltura video,
- Click on the three vertical dots on the right side of the toolbar in the editor (the “More” button).
- In the additional toolbar that appears, click on the Apps icon (the one that looks like an electrical plug). This will open another window listing the apps.
- Wait a second for the entire list to load.
- Click on the words “Embed Kaltura Media” – not “Kaltura Media Gallery” It won’t look like you can click on “Embed Kaltura Media” because your mouse pointer won’t change to indicate that it’s a clickable link, but that is where you need to click.
- A list of all your videos in Kaltura will pop up. (If you need to upload your video to Kaltura, see “Uploading a previously recorded video” for detailed instructions.)
- Find the video you want to embed in the list and click the blue “Select” button to the right of it. (If you want to embed a larger version of your video, select the drop-down arrow next to the “Select” button and choose “Large.”)
- Your video will be placed in the text editor. You can add any necessary text below your video and then click “Post Reply,” “Submit Assignment,” or “Save” as appropriate.
Verify the Automatic Captions on Your Video
All video uploaded to Kaltura is automatically mechanically captioned using speech-to-text technology. If you’ve ever used speech-to-text, you know it’s never 100% accurate so you need to check your captions and edit as needed to make sure they are correct and not saying anything embarrassing. The mechanical captions appear fairly quickly on short videos once they’re uploaded. You can check them either in Kaltura: My Media if it is available in your course, or at Kaltura Mediaspace. Instructions on checking and editing your captions are at Accessible Videos in this book.
Note on Video Processing
If your video has been recently uploaded to Kaltura you will see a “media is being processed” animation where you expect your video to be.
Please be patient. Processing time depends on the length of the video and the number of other videos Kaltura is processing. It will appear once it has completed processing, though you may need to refresh your page to see it. You CAN embed a video that is still processing in Kaltura.