IMPORTANT: Note that you can only upload a video using a web browser (desktop or mobile). You cannot upload a video to Kaltura in the Canvas mobile app.
Kaltura will accept most video file formats including mp4, avi, mov (Apple), HEVC (iOS), wmv (Windows), and gp3 (most Android devices). It will also accept most audio files including mp3, wav, and m4a (Apple).
You can upload a video file using the “Embed Kaltura Media” app in the Rich Content Editor tools across the top of any text entry box in Canvas. Text entry boxes are available:
- For students: in a Discussion, an Assignment with a text entry submission type
- For instructors: in Pages, Discussions, Assignments, or Quizzes
You can also upload a video in Kaltura: My Media if that tool is visible on the left-side navigation of your course. If you have My Media available, start at the Upload Your Video section below.
Go to the Embed Kaltura Media App
- Once you are in a text box with the Rich Content Editor, click on the “Apps” icon at the far right of the tool bar (it looks like an electrical plug). If you do not see that icon at the far right and instead see three vertical dots (the “More” button), click that to open up an additional toolbar which will show the Apps icon.
- Wait a second for the entire list to load.
- Click on the words “Embed Kaltura Media” – not “Kaltura Media Gallery.” IMPORTANT: It won’t look like you can click on “Embed Kaltura Media” because your mouse pointer won’t change to indicate that it’s a clickable link, but that is where you need to click.
Upload Your Video or Audio File
- Click the “Add New” button at the top right of the window that pops up and select the “Media Upload” option.
- An Upload Media box will appear where you can browse for the video or audio file and select it or drag and drop it onto the upload area to upload it into Kaltura.
- Once the file is uploaded, you can change the title and add a description or tags if you like. Please be patient. Upload speed depends on the size of the file and your internet connection speed. Do not close this box or navigate away from this page until the green “Upload Complete” message is displayed.
- One the file is uploaded, if you changed or added information, save your changes by clicking the “Save” button at the bottom.
- Click the “Save and Embed” button at the top right and your video or audio will be embedded.
Verify the Automatic Captions on Your Video
All video uploaded to Kaltura is automatically mechanically captioned using speech-to-text technology. If you’ve ever used speech-to-text, you know it’s never 100% accurate so you need to check your captions and edit as needed to make sure they are correct and not saying anything embarrassing. The mechanical captions appear fairly quickly on short videos once they’re uploaded. You can check them either in Kaltura: My Media if it is available in your course, or at Kaltura Mediaspace. Instructions on checking and editing your captions are at Accessible Videos in this book.
Note on Video Processing
When a video is first uploaded to Kaltura you will see a “media is being processed” animation where you expect your video to be.
Please be patient. Processing time depends on the length of the video and the number of other videos Kaltura is processing. It will appear once it has completed processing, though you may need to refresh your page to see it. You can embed a video that is still processing in Kaltura.